OK, so sad to admit it, yet secretly not, but I still love the '80's. I mean a decade that brought us factory ripped jeans, big hair, MTV, etc. couldn't be all bad, could it? I have been looking through old photos this weekend to find some to use in a project for my mom and I came across my prom picture from 1988. And it made me wax nostalgic. So tonight, in the name of all that is silly, fun, and frivolous, I give you my top 13 reasons why I still love the '80's...
1. My big, permed, teased, sprayed, moussed, Sun-In frosted hair was so cool.
2. No one cared that I wore a black and white polka-dotted dress 2 years in a row to prom(they both still hang in my closet, too.)
3. Nina Blackwood was cool on MTV then and is still cool Sunday morning on the radio hosting "Absolutely 80's Flashback".
4. The music from then and now still makes me get up to sing and dance.
5. I had Maybelline mascara in 5 colors including blue, yellow, green, purple, and red. And I wore them all at one time. And I wonder why people called me Rainbow Brite.
6. The clothes and style are back, yet again (but I am still passing on leg warmers.)
7. The movies, Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, Footloose, Flashdance, etc. are the new "classics", and I own them on DVD so I can watch them anytime.
8. I could talk on the phone for hours, and I loved it. Not so much a phone person anymore. Don't even own a cell phone.
9. Movies were cheap, popcorn was cheap, and calorie free, thank goodness because the summer that I saw Young Guns 9 times could have really been expensive!
10. My friends and I would all sit around drinking Pepsi, eating Cheetos, Keebler Soft Batch Chocolate Chip Cookies, and frozen pizza without worrying about fat grams.
11. My biggest concerns in life were: homework, passing my driving permit exam, and if the boy I liked would like me back.
12. Movie magazines were full of light and fluffy articles about my favorite stars, with staged professional photos, unlike the overload of tabloid magazines that are out there today. And I have a 3-ring binder scrapbook, covered with scratch and sniff stickers, full of C. Thomas Howell, Rob Lowe, and Andrew McCarthy clippings.
13. I married the guy I met my very first day at the University of Oregon. It was the fall of 1988, and although we didn't start dating until the 90's, he is still my very favorite part of the decade that was the 1980's!!!
Have a great last day of April.